So I am a Londoner but my brother and family have just moved from Houston to Boston! I’ve been to Houston many times but last week was the first time I visited them in Boston.
OH MY GOD I MISS TEXAN FOOD! Everything really is bigger and better in Texas. (N.B only when it comes to the food though as their new home in Boston is gorgeous- loved it there!)
Had some good food in Boston though- snaps below for your viewing pleasure! Are you even on holiday if you don’t eat ice cream everyday?!
In terms of consistency on holiday there wasn’t masses this time around- I was there for 10 days and fitted in 3 work outs but made sure I ate lots of fruit and vegetables and we actually didn’t eat out that much- so maybe moving to Boston is a good thing- for my waist line at least!!
Cherry and blueberry slushie- that’s two of my five a day right?!
Trying desperately to find good Tex mex in Boston!Banana french toast!Excellent ice cream
Classic pancakes, bacon and maple syrup
Now i am back In London it’s back to slightly less treats, more work outs and more food prep 😦 waaaaaaaa!
Top ten tips for avoiding over eating in a buffet environment:
1. Accept that you are going to overeat. That’s what we are there for right?!
2. Is it worth it? Are you enjoying what you’ve put on your plate? I generally put a little bit of things on my plate to try them and leave the ones I don’t like. Leave them if they aren’t worth it… Likewise, eat them if they are!!
3. Start with salad. I always fill half my plate with salad or veg as a starter. Yes I might fill the rest wither pizza and chips but at least I’ve started with the right intention.
4. Steer clear of fruit juice. You might as well have a glass of Coke to be honest. It’s so misleading but don’t beck 2-3 glasses of fruit juice thinking you’re being healthy- you aren’t. Unless it’s freshly blended which luckily enough in or hotel it was!! Try to add some vegetable juice to keep it lower sugar!
5. How beige is your plate? Try to get some thinking not beige on it. I was adding some really nice black beans and olives to my plate on holiday!
6. Creamy isn’t leany. We had the opportunity to make our own pasta dishes up- you can either add a cream or tomato sauce- creamy is usually (usually) more fattening so if you don’t mind opt for tomatoes pasta sauces. We didn’t use any sauce and instead had chorizo, ham. Mushroom loads of garlic, olive oil and Parmesan- amazing!
7. Hotel buffet food is often mixed in quality. I normally love chips but they looked pretty soggy so i opted for rice instead… If the chips had looked nicer i would have had them but decided to break my habit. Earnt myself more cheese that way.
8. Bread- so tempting in a buffet environment but actually think About how many slices you’re having. Breakfast toast? Lunch a panini? Dinner bread to start? It all adds up! I try to steer clear as it isn’t my weakness but if it is yours go for it- but sacrifice things you aren’t too fussed about!
9. Add some fruit to your pudding! One of the great things about being abroad is the amount of fresh fruit and different types you can get! Try to get a few of your 5 a day in at breakfast too.
10. Eggs, eggs, eggs: our hotel did fresh omelettes so we had these (and omitted the cheese when trying to be good!). As well as the fresh fruit and yoghurt as above! With a green tea too 🙂
And an extra bonus point, the most important- 11. You’re on holiday- have what you want when you want!! Moderation is key but if you fancy pizza and chips do it (maybe have some fruit of pudding then… Or ice cream, oh how I miss daily ice cream).
So I’ve been off the radar this week- been sunning myself with Rich at an all inclusive in Dominican Republic- sorry not sorry.
Now as a fitness blog, obvs I can’t just brag about having an ace holiday- drinking my weight in beer and eating my weight in ice cream- as much as I want to.
With a couple of holidays coming up I didn’t want to pile on the obligatory half a stone gain (I mean I still made a fair effort on this front) so here’s my top tips for damage limitation on Holiday!!
1. Move. Just a little everyday. And yes walking or swimming to and forth to the bar definitely counts…
Running on holiday is a fantastic way to see new places – we went for 3 runs along the beach. Quite handy as jet lag had us up at 6:30am anyway… Running outside in heat is also a fantastic way to increase your physical fitness- Rich and I managed about 25 mins each time due to the excessive heat (and the strong call to the bar…)
2. Make some good choices to counteract the numerous bad ones. Now I’m not going on holiday to drink algae and eat salad all day long. As a massive foodie, I’m there to indulge as much as possible but just try to make swaps where you can- hilariously this meant for me swapping every other beer for gin and sodas (oh the sacrifice), and ensuring my plate had a fair amount of green on it! Pile up your plate with green bits before any beige!
3. Is it worth it? As with most all inclusive resorts the food at our hotel was mixed. Some things were great- breakfast. Somethings not so much- puddings. To be fair this was great as it meant more often than not we were saying to each other- how’s your dessert? Not worth the calories and then opting for fruit instead. (Sounds wasteful- we soon learnt!) This in turn, saved calories for beers.
4. Check out the gym, or do a HIIT in your room if you can be bothered! I did just 20 mins on the treadmill one day but felt so much better for it. My hotel room HIIT blog post will be coming soon! Also, swimming counts! I can’t confess to having swam much- more bobbing up and down trying not to spill my booze. But do swim on holiday if you can!
5. Generally eat a tonne of fruit. Melon, pineapple, papaya, passion fruit- love all of these things on holiday for breakfast lunch and dinner! Normally I try not to get my 5 a day just from fruit (lots of sugar) but on holiday screw it- got about 8 a day in with fruit and salad 🙂 (strawberry daquiri’s count- right?!)
Inevitably sitting on your arse all day, eating and drinking from 11am is going to cause weight gain but it’s also a hell of a lot of fun. Sometimes you just gotta let go- queue photos of me eating some really healthy things…. 🙈🙉🙊