So I’ve been off the radar this week- been sunning myself with Rich at an all inclusive in Dominican Republic- sorry not sorry.
Now as a fitness blog, obvs I can’t just brag about having an ace holiday- drinking my weight in beer and eating my weight in ice cream- as much as I want to.
With a couple of holidays coming up I didn’t want to pile on the obligatory half a stone gain (I mean I still made a fair effort on this front) so here’s my top tips for damage limitation on Holiday!!
1. Move. Just a little everyday. And yes walking or swimming to and forth to the bar definitely counts…
Running on holiday is a fantastic way to see new places – we went for 3 runs along the beach. Quite handy as jet lag had us up at 6:30am anyway… Running outside in heat is also a fantastic way to increase your physical fitness- Rich and I managed about 25 mins each time due to the excessive heat (and the strong call to the bar…)
2. Make some good choices to counteract the numerous bad ones. Now I’m not going on holiday to drink algae and eat salad all day long. As a massive foodie, I’m there to indulge as much as possible but just try to make swaps where you can- hilariously this meant for me swapping every other beer for gin and sodas (oh the sacrifice), and ensuring my plate had a fair amount of green on it! Pile up your plate with green bits before any beige!
3. Is it worth it? As with most all inclusive resorts the food at our hotel was mixed. Some things were great- breakfast. Somethings not so much- puddings. To be fair this was great as it meant more often than not we were saying to each other- how’s your dessert? Not worth the calories and then opting for fruit instead. (Sounds wasteful- we soon learnt!) This in turn, saved calories for beers.
4. Check out the gym, or do a HIIT in your room if you can be bothered! I did just 20 mins on the treadmill one day but felt so much better for it. My hotel room HIIT blog post will be coming soon! Also, swimming counts! I can’t confess to having swam much- more bobbing up and down trying not to spill my booze. But do swim on holiday if you can!
5. Generally eat a tonne of fruit. Melon, pineapple, papaya, passion fruit- love all of these things on holiday for breakfast lunch and dinner! Normally I try not to get my 5 a day just from fruit (lots of sugar) but on holiday screw it- got about 8 a day in with fruit and salad 🙂 (strawberry daquiri’s count- right?!)
Inevitably sitting on your arse all day, eating and drinking from 11am is going to cause weight gain but it’s also a hell of a lot of fun. Sometimes you just gotta let go- queue photos of me eating some really healthy things…. 🙈🙉🙊